Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Tue Sep 10, 2002  8:37 pm
Subject:  RE: losing weight and the voice

Dear Group:
I think Reg or someone recently asked about anecdotal experiences
with losing weight and it's effect on the voice. I don't recall much
response, but I'm asking the question again. I have lost 20 lbs. over
the summer, much of it from the midriff and abdominal area, and thought
that it had had no effect until recently as I am trying to master a
scene from Der Rosenkavalier with high sustained notes and a very slow
tempo (the Marchellin's part). The low and middle feel fine, but I feel
as though I have lost my ability to support the high notes and my breath
is not lasting through the phrases. Tension in the throat and jaw are
resulting.
This is honestly quite different from the norm for me. I vocalize
daily, pride myself on my breath management and, while I'm not
constantly singing high repertoire, I have for years had a nice upper
range which rode beautifully on the breath and was anything but
effortful. I thought at first this was just the result of the piece; it
is demanding. But now I'm almost sure that the musculature and
coordination is not functioning as it had been prior to the weight loss.
I'll be working on this assumption as I attempt to re-engineer my
breathing foundation, but I am curious as to whether others have
experienced this.

Sharon Szymanski

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20087 Re: losing weight and the voiceSMSchneider susan5s Wed  9/11/2002
20090 Re: losing weight and the voiceJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Wed  9/11/2002
20099 Re: losing weight and the voiceAmanda Kelley mandasings Thu  9/12/2002
20091 Re: losing weight and the voicerachparker@e... rparker1333 Wed  9/11/2002
20092 Re: losing weight and the voiceGreypins@a... greypins Wed  9/11/2002
20094 Re: losing weight and the voiceSMSchneider susan5s Wed  9/11/2002
20112 Re: losing weight and the voiceJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Thu  9/12/2002
20142 Re: losing weight (Dr. John)Imthurn Melinda   Sat  9/14/2002
20146 Re: losing weight (Dr. John)- pharyngeal spaceJohn Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Mon  9/16/2002

emusic.com