Vocalist.org archive

From:  Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  8:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

Omara wrote: I
think a large part of singing IS training the muscles to do what
they need to do. It's not the entirety of it, of course, but a lot
of it is training the body to take the proper forms and actions in
order to produce the desired sound.

I would actually have to say that most of learning to sing is a process of
untraining the muscles to do what we don't want them to do. You know. . .
taking away the flexing of unneccessary muscles one by one until you learn to
use only the neccessary ones. In that case, muscle memory is something we deal
with from day one. It is an ongoing struggle with the body, but not a reason to
avoid singing pieces that we have worked on earlier or pieces that we intend to
work on in the future. If one makes a conscious choice to sing prior material
with current muscle usage, it can and will be done. Hope this helps.

Mandi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20030 Re: "Muscle Memory"Amanda Kelley mandasings Sun  9/8/2002
20031 Re: "Muscle Memory"omtara omtara Sun  9/8/2002

emusic.com