Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Sep 5, 2002  3:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Bonjour Suzon

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Sharon Szymanski wrote:

> Just a quickie:
> Looking at "Bonjour Suzon" by Leo Delibes for a soprano and just
> wondering if this will work since the text seems to be from the male
> point of view. Any thoughts?
>
> Sharon Szymanski

Are you worried that your own imagination is too limited for you to be
able to take on and effectively portray the necessary masculine persona
for this song, or are you worried that your audience's imagination is too
limited for them to suspend disbelief enough to appreciate your masculine
portrayal? If the former, of course you shouldn't do the song - but I
suspect this isn't the problem (if it is, I'd also suggest you forget
ever singing an operatic "pants" or "toga" role). If the latter, I'd
suggest you give your audience more credit. If you can "inhabit" the male
personal and effectively deliver the song, I can almost guarantee that
your audience will get caught up in your performance and the fact that
you're not actually a man will be quite irrelevant.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.