Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Aug 19, 2002  7:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] contralto or dark mezzo recordings?

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, bean2871_2000 wrote:

> Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone knew of any recordings or
> singers that have a contralto or low, dark mezzo soprano quality? I
> just finished studying with Andreas Poulimenos and he told me that is
> the voice quality I was headed towards. Also I was wondering if
> anyone knew of any opera with contralto roles? Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the very select club, you lucky girl!

"Dark" is somewhat "in the ear of the listener". But given that most
dramatic mezzos and even some dramatic sopranos have a decided "darkness"
to their voices, there are some whose voices are exceptionally "dark" to
my ears.
Here are two really "dark" mezzos I listen to and admire most:

Olga Borodina
Nina Terentieva

Here are my most-admired contraltos:

Ewa Podles
Claramae Turner
Kathleen Ferrier
Louis Homer
Ernestine Schumann-Heink

For the "darkest" voices, you should also listen to Marian Anderson -
she's not one of my favourites, because I think her diction was
ridiculously over-mannered, and her technique when singing
higher-tessitura repertoire was nothing exceptional. On the other hand,
her singing of spirituals is still peerless.

The other "dark" voice is that of Clara Butt, the great English contralto
of the late 19th and early 20th century, whose voice was so solid in its
lower register that it could sound almost "mannish" (and rather comparable
to that of Ruby Helder, the early 20th century "female tenor").
Unfortunately, Butt's recordings were all done late in her career, and
thus don't reflect her voice at its peak.

For her timbre and art-song repertoire, you might also listen to Nathalie
Stutzmann, another current contralto, though I find she has some technical
problems that make her less than an ideal "role model" (not to mention
some intonation difficulties at times).

As for true contralto roles - vs. mezzo-soprano roles (which contraltos
also sing a lot) - or male alto/castrato roles (which are also became
contralto "bread and butter" after the practice of gelding prepubescent
boy singers feel out of fashion in the late 18th/early 19th centuries -
but which may increasingly become once again the domain of male altos,
this time in the form of countertenors) - here are some of the most famous
roles composed for contraltos - there are numerous others, and you'll find
quite a few listed on my "Operatic Roles for Contraltos" Web page at:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/Repertoire/altorole.html

Monteverdi: Arnalta in L'INCORONAZZIONE DI POPPEA

Monteverdi: Penelope in IL RITORNO D'ULISSE IN PATRIA

Handel: Cornelia in GIULIO CESARE

Handel: Armdia in RINALDO (rewritten for contralto by Handel)

Handel: Juno and Ino in SEMELE

Handel: Eduige in RODELINDA

Handel: Amastre in SERSE

Mozart: The Third Lady in DIE ZAUBERFLOETE

Rossini: Angelina in LA CENERENTOLA

Rossini: Rosina in IL BARBIERE DI SIVIGLIA

Rossini: Isabella and Zulma in L'ITALIANA IN ALGERI

Berlioz: Anna in LES TROYENS

Glinka: Ratmir in RUSSLAN AND LYUDMILA

Glinka: Vanya in A LIFE FOR THE TSAR

Gounod: Martha in FAUST

Gounod: Nurse in ROMEO ET JULIETTE

Borodin: Kontchakovna in PRINCE IGOR

Verdi: Maddalena in RIGOLETTO

Verdi: Federica in LUISA MILLER

Verdi: Ulrica in UN BALLO IN MASCHERA

Verdi: Dame Quickly in FALSTAFF

Boito: Marta in MEFISTOFELE

Sullivan: Little Buttercup in HMS PINAFORE

Sullivan: Ruth in PIRATES OF PENZANCE

Sullivan: Katisha in THE MIKADO

Sullivan: Dame Carruthers in YEOMEN OF THE GUARD

Sullivan: Duchess of Plaza-Toro in THE GONDOLIERS

Sullivan: Queen of the Fairies in IOLANTHE

Sullivan: Lady Jane in PATIENCE

Sullivan: Lady Blanche in PRINCESS IDA

Sullivan: Lady Sangazure in THE SORCERER

Sullivan: Dame Hannah in RUDDIGORE

Tchaikovsky: Olga and Filipyevna in EUGENE ONEGIN

Tchaikovsky: Pauline in PIKOVAYA DAMA

Tchaikovsky: Martha in IOLANTA

Rimsky-Korsakov: Shepherd Lel' in SNEGOUROTCHKA (pants role)

Rimsky-Korsakov: Amelfa in THE GOLDEN COCKEREL

Rimsky-Korsakov: Dunyasha in THE TSAR'S BRIDE

Mussorgsky: Hostess at the Inn, Nurse in BORIS GODUNOV

J. Strauss Jr.: Orlofsky in DIE FLEDERMAUS (pants role)

Wagner: Erda in The Ring Cycle (DAS RHEINGOLD and SIEGFRIED)

Wagner: Waltraute in The Ring Cycle (WALKUERE and GOETTERDAEMERUNG)

Mascagni: Mama Lucia in CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA

Ponchielli: La Cieca in LA GIOCONDA

Giordano: Madelon in ANDREA CHENIER

Giordano: Dmitri in FEDORA

Puccini: Zita in GIANNI SCHICCHI

Humperdinck: Rosina Daintymouth (die Hexe) in HANSEL UND GRETEL

Lalo: Margared in LE ROI D'YS

Massenet: Mme. la Haltiere in CENDRILLON

Massenet: Albine in THAIS

Massenet: Dulcinee in DON QUICHOTTE

G. Charpentier: Mother in LOUISE

Janacek: Forester's Wife in CUNNING LITTLE VIXEN

Janacek: Grandmother Beryjovka in JENUFA

Janacek: Kabanicha in KATYA KABANOVA

R. Strauss: Annina in DER ROSENKAVALIER

R. Strauss: Dryad in ARIADNE AUF NAXOS

R. Strauss: Clairon in CAPRICCIO

R. Strauss: Gaea in DAPHNE

R. Strauss: Page of Herodias in SALOME

R. Strauss: Voice from on High in DIE FRAU OHNE SCHATTEN

Debussy: Genevieve in PELLEAS ET MELISANDE

de Falla: La Abuela in LA VIDA BREVE

Vaughan Williams: Maurya from RIDERS TO THE SEA

Kurt Weill: Frau Peachum in DIE DREIGROSCHENOPER

Kurt Weill: Leokadja Begbick in AUFSTIEG UND FALL DER STADT MAHAGONNY

Berg: Margret in WOZZECK

Zandonai: Smaragdi in FRANCESCA DA RIMINI

Stravinsky: Mother Goose in THE RAKE'S PROGRESS

Thomson: Teresa II in FOUR SAINTS IN THREE ACTS

Thomson: Anne, Indiana Elliott, and Anne Hope in THE MOTHER OF US ALL

Prokofiev: Hostess of the Inn in THE FIERY ANGEL

Prokofiev: Princess Clarissa in A LOVE FOR THREE ORANGES

Poulenc: Mme de Croissy, Mere Jean in DIALOGUES DES CARMELITES

Britten: Auntie and Mrs Sedley in PETER GRIMES

Britten: Lucretia and Bianca in THE RAPE OF LUCRETIA (the title
role written for Kathleen Ferrier)

Britten: Florence Pike in ALBERT HERRING

Britten: Hippolyta in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM

Shostakovich: Sonyetka in LADY MACBETH OF MTENSK DISTRICT

Barber: The Old Baroness in VANESSA

Copland: Ma Moss in THE TENDER LAND

Menotti: Miss Todd in THE OLD MAID AND THE THIEF

Menotti: Mother, Vera Boronel in THE CONSUL

Menotti: Mme. Flora ("Baba") in THE MEDIUM

Floyd: Mrs Ott in SUSANNAH

Moore: Mama McCourt in THE BALLAD OF BABY DOE

Bernstein: The Old Lady in CANDIDE

Henze: Carolina von Kirchstetten in ELEGY FOR YOUNG LOVERS

Ward: Tituba and Rebecca Nurse in THE CRUCIBLE

Tippett: Sosostris from THE MIDSUMMER MARRIAGE

Adams: Marilyn Klinghoffer in THE DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER

Glass: Nefirtiti in AKHNATEN

Glass: Kasturbai in SATYAGRAHA

Some notworthy mezzo soprano roles whose range and tessitura makes them
quite well suited for (and frequently performed by) contraltos include:

Monteverdi: Octavia in L'INCORONAZZIONE DI POPPEA

Mozart: Marcellina (when her aria is cut, as it often is) in LE NOZZE DI
FIGARO

Donizetti: Leonore/a in LA FAVORITE/A

Meyerbeer: Fides in LE PROPHETE (one of Ernestine Schumann-Heink's
signature roles)

Thomas: Gertrude in HAMLET

Saint-Saens: Dalila in SAMSON ET DALILA

Verdi: Azucena in IL TROVATORE

Mussorgsky: Marfa in KHOVANSHCHINA

Puccini: La Principessa in SUOR ANGELICA

Massenet: Herodiade in HERODIADE

R. Strauss: Klytaemnestra in ELEKTRA

Stravinsky: Baba the Turk in THE RAKE'S PROGRESS

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19874 Re: contralto or dark mezzo recordings?Jodie Bean   Fri  8/23/2002

emusic.com