Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Aug 19, 2002  6:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Recital Enders

Here are songs I've used as recital-enders (in order of personal
preference):

Noel Coward: Come the wild, wild weather

J. Fred Coots: For all we know

Trad. Irish: The Parting Glass (which I always sing a capella)

Noel Coward: I'll see you again (from BITTERSWEET)

Andrew Lloyd Webber: Half a moment (from BY JEEVES)

Of all of these, I think the first expresses a sentiment that is
absolutely right for your situation - it's about the bond of friendship,
after going through a struggle together, continuing on for the rest of
one's life, even though the friends may be geographically far apart and
even if they never see each other again.

The second song, by Coots, is a lovely WWII-era ballad along the lines of
"I'll be seeing you" in sentiment, but with more of a "carpe diem" message
- what time we have together, let's use it fully. It is, however, very
much a love song, so may not be what you want.

The Irish song is a wonderful "going away" song, in which the singer
toasts those (s)he is leaving behind.

The BITTERSWEET song is sung by a voice student to her teacher before he
leaves the country to pursue life as a composer. The voice student
references, unfortunately, are all in the "recit", and require the song to
be done as originally scored - as a duet. The chorus, however, is a lovely
song on its own, and is perfectly extractable as a solo. The message is
how long and lonely time will be until the singer and her teacher (friend,
etc.) are reunited, but also how cherished the memories will be.

Half a moment is one of those simple, lovely early Andrew Lloyd Webber
songs written before he got too self conscious about his own
(self-perceived) talent. In the original key - as composed for the JEEVES
of the early 1970s, vs. the revived version which was transposed down - it
is perfect for soprano. Again, another "carpe diem" sentiment, like that
in "For all we know".

If it were me, I'd use either "Come the wild weather" or "The parting
glass". Neither of them will show off your vocalism at all, but both have
absolutely perfect sentiments for your circumstances.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.