Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Thu Jul 18, 2002  2:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

>Can anyone suggest something that I might try?

Bob, what happens if you start your scales with various consonants?
If you can learn to do that easily then I would guess you could
transfer the skill to singing a phrase in a song.

Another idea I suggest is to change your notion of "taking a breath"
to "allowing a breath". To make this operational, sing your song one
phrase at a time, and each time you complete a phrase, do not TAKE a
breath but rather allow your inhalation to take as long as it wants
to take. Obviously this breaks the meter of the song but let it
happen. When your next exhalation starts then begin the next phrase.
Do not direct your breath at all but rather allow it to direct you.
Once you have each phrase happening easily you then need to learn to
allow the inhalation to be much quicker while keeping the same
quality as when you let it take as long as it wants. If you do what
I've suggested you'll probably figure out how to increase the speed
of the inhalation without changing its quality, but if you'd like a
suggestion about that let me know and I'll post mine.

What I suggest about singing one phrase at a time could also be used
for shorter units, all the way down to single pitches separated by
long inhalations. You will find that it takes forever to get through
what would normally be just a few seconds of music but the practice
both exposes problems and provides a means for solving them.

John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19671 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001   Thu  7/18/2002
19672 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link   Thu  7/18/2002
19701 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001   Fri  7/19/2002
19704 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link   Fri  7/19/2002
19702 Re: Consonants and breath flowReg Boyle   Fri  7/19/2002
21115 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Mon  11/25/2002
21125 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Tue  11/26/2002
21166 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Thu  11/28/2002
21168 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Thu  11/28/2002

emusic.com