Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 16, 2002  8:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] classical training

In a message dated 7/16/2002 12:54:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> To Randy specifically - Please think back on the voice students you've not
> had
> success with, for whatever reasons (certainly it wasn't the fault of your
> "method" or you as a teacher in general). Imagine one or two of those
> students going to another teacher, with whatever vocal problems they
> have/had
> that were not resolved while they studied with you, and then that teacher
> writing to this list "XYZ" (Randy's) method is full of @#$*% because of the
> vocal problems several of his students have.
>
> Intellectual discipline sounds boring. But really, it's a good thing. It
> saves lives and reputations.

I'm not talking about students that come from one specific studio and I would
never jump to a conclusion about a "teacher" based on 1-2 students. I know
you said upfront that you don't teach voice... hmmm. I've been doing this a
long time with great success, and my experience tells me that almost (not
quite, but almost) all classically trained female singers have a difficult
time getting out of pure chest. If they do manage to do it, the mix has a
very different quality to it than what a pop mix would. .This evidence is
based on working with over 70 students a week, many of them recovering opera
singers. Based on this and the statements made about chest voice in the
classically based literature (Miller calls it crude, crass and masculine) it
is pretty evident that the chest voice is ignored, shortened in length or
discouraged in most classical studios. Since you have never trained anyone
and have not worked with the population like I have I believe it is you who
are jumping to conclusions.

Concerning intellectual discipline, next time I see someone that needs their
life saved from a burning building I'll use intellectual discipline to save
them instead of running into the building and pulling them out... lol

Randy Buescher

emusic.com