Vocalist.org archive

From:  "william_h_flanders" <flanders@d...>
Date:  Fri Jul 12, 2002  1:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., buzzcen@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 7/11/2002 6:49:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
> dalila@R... writes:
>
> > Among rock singers, I think perhaps Freddie
> > Mercury - who I believe WAS
> > classically trained; all his belting, timbre changes,
> > etc. I am sure were
> > entirely intentional and under his control - the
> > results of artistic
> > choice, and not technical deficiencies.
> >
> > Karen Mercedes
> > http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
> >

> As a big fan of queen, I know for a fact that Freddie Mercury
> never had a voice lesson his whole life.
>
> Randy Buescher

Even if he had classical training, did he really use
it? I can't imagine the screaming, timbre control of
falsetto and the tremendous array of techniques
he used were part of any classical method he studied.

Here is an interesting example of a cross-over musician
from opera to rock: John Ondrasik

"I tried opera, and seeing as I'm not going to
write arias I think I'll pass on classical.
I imitated Stevie Wonder for 10 years, so maybe
I'd try old-time R&B."

If you listen to some of his stuff, he doesn't
try to hide his register break like classical
singers do. His style is very unpolished and
dramatic. He actually sings a bit like Dave
Matthews, who I think is self-trained.

See:
http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20011220005/tscript.htm

Bill