Vocalist.org archive

From:  "pjtenr1" <pjtenr1@h...>
Date:  Sun Jun 9, 2002  4:04 am
Subject:  Re: Mozartean tenors

Mirko:

That's a very good question. I too have a rather romantic-sounding
tenor, and I am working on Tamino now as well.

I have noticed that, at least locally (I'm in the St. Louis, MO area),
there seems to be a preference for either heldentenors in recital or
the light tenors (I call them either "high-larynx" or "voix mixte"
tenors myself) to which you refer.

Is it just me, or is there some sort of school of thought that tenors
can no longer sing Mozart and Rossini and have wonderful, strongly
ringing voices? I so seldom hear them any more!

Paul B.

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
wrote:
> A question for the group:
>
> How come so many tenors sing Mozart in such a limp-wristed way?
Especially
> here in Australia, every Don Ottavio and Tamino (and every other
Mozart
> tenor) is sung by extremely light awfully polite sounding tenorinos.
I'm
> doing Tamino in September, and my voice verges on the dramatic, so
there'll
> be none of that light sound. But I'm just curious as to why this
there is a
> preference for the lightness? Does anybody have any idea? I've
heard that
> in Europe, lyric tenors (even some spintos) do Mozart as well, not
just the
> little guys.
> Fritz Wunderlich was no light tenor, and he had great success with
Mozart.

> Mirko

emusic.com