Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Jun 7, 2002  9:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musetta

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 gwyee@r... wrote:

> Dear Vocalistmates,
>
> Hopefully, this is an easy question for the list. I went to a local
> production of Puccini's "Boheme" last weekend. I was really impressed by
> the young soprano in the role of Musetta. But as I listened,I wondered
> what Musetta might sound like if sung by a more sultry voice, such as a
> lyric mezzo. My companion, a coluratura soprano, insists that the role
> calls for a lyric coluratura soprano, only, and could not be filled by a
> lyric mezzo. But I am still wondering. What do you all think? Could
> "Musetta" be sung by a lyric mezzo? Has it been done?

I've often wondered the same thing - and have also wondered whether
Musetta, a soubrette role (no need for a coloratura as she hasn't got any
fioratura passages to sing), might not soon go the way of Mozart's
Zerlina, who is increasingly being sung by high lyric mezzos.

Interestingly, Marjorie Lawrence, who ended up singing heavy Wagnerian
soprano roles (e.g., Isolde), made her opera debut as Musetta in Paris.

The role sits just a tad higher than the average mezzo - even Mozart
"mezzo" - comfort tessitura, IMO. But then, so do Zerlina and Donna
Elvira, two roles that are being coopted by mezzos with increasing
frequency. I like the idea of a sultry-sounding Musetta, but I also like
the light, bright, soubrette quality. She is supposed to be a FLIRT, after
all, not a real seductress. Frankly, I think she's less overtly erotic
than even Zerlina, which may be why her voice needs to remain more
girlish (which is what the soubrette soprano voice is intended to be).

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:15

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19313 Re: MusettaLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  6/7/2002
19315 Re: MusettaDavid Geary   Sat  6/8/2002

emusic.com