Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jun 6, 2002  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] documentary or movie about singers?

>From: "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
>>

>On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:30:10 EDT buzzcen@a... wrote:
>
> >>Well, there's in the shadow of the stars which is about members of the
>SF Opera Chorus ...
>
>I've never caught up with that one, but would love to. But you made me
>think of another terrific opera documentary that ran on public television
>about a year or so ago. I don't remember the title - maybe someone else
>does - but it was a one-hour behind the scenes look at a production of
>Wagner's The Ring cycle of 4 operas. All from the back-stage standpoint.
>Wild!
>
>Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

The title is "Sing Faster!" (?) And THAT one is set at the San Francisco
Opera, too. Gives you a chance to watch the stagehands earn every penny of
their union wages, especially the half-dozen or so who operated the dragon.
Was also particularly impressed by the fellow who tacked down the floor
cloth at a speed of approximately 100 nails a minute, all without smashing
his fingers or swallowing a nail. (Do you suppose they have to demonstrate
that ability to get in the union?)

I believe that excellent documentary Thomas Hampson hosted on PBS, featuring
film clips of all manner of great singers of yore, is available on tape.
Check http://www.pbs.org; it has a whole department for tape and DVD sales.

Elizabeth Finkler
who, like Jenny in "Mahagonny" must have dollars or I'll die