Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed May 24, 2000  8:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: Question about Fach (tenor arias)

Tako,
Alas, checking the score proves my memory wrong: both Iopas and Enee go up
to C, but no further, unless one of those optional or traditional notes has
crept in - the recording I heard had the fine English lyric tenor Ian
Partridge in the role. As consolation Arturo in I Puritani has a big D,
also Robert le Diable and other Bel Canto monsterpieces!
The disc is indeed "Serenade". The copy I heard belongs to someone who
knows Daniels, so maybe he got an advance one? Anyway, to my taste (and the
Gramophone reviewer) Daniels sounds best(!) in the "classical" repertoire -
the Schubert and Gounod items are quite magical. His sound does not become
big and wobbly or anything: his messa di voce is remarkable and his tone is
subtle and serves the music very well. I'd like to hear Brahms sung like
this! Some of his low notes are a bit funny, paradoxically.
Having listened to a few tracks I had to go and put on some Kathleen
Ferrier - yes, she's still queen of the altos, but her dark sound and rich
vibrato may not be to everyone's taste nowadays, while I couldn't imagine
anyone not liking Daniels' singing. john