Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 29, 2002  9:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: titze and high and low larynx

In a message dated 3/29/2002 4:24:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:

> In my own voice I have done much spectrographic analysis regarding
> vertical laryngeal position. When my larynx is in what I call
> the "stable" or "comfortably low" position, I constantly get strong
> acoustic energy in the 2500-3500 Hz area known as the singer's
> formant. Thus the "stable" position works for me and I have no
> problem being heard over an orchestra.

taylor,

i just did a spectral analysis of high and low larynx and found that
the high larynx had no effect on 'ring' in my voice. in fact, i would have
described the high larynx version as being more present than the lower larynx
version. the spectral anal. does not account for this other than stronger
mid range signals from the higher larynx position.

however, while the low larynx version sounds good, the high larynx
version sounds...f'ugly. it is my guess that the reduction of 'ring' in
high larynx singers is a result of their attempts to improve the perceptive
quality of the sound and not directly attributable to the high larynx.

i saved the bitmap so, if you like, i could send you the file.

mike

emusic.com