Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] [Fwd: looking for recital rep]

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Geraldine Consoli wrote:

> Hello everyone, you may not have missed me because I didn't dare
> contribute very often, but I have missed you. I have just re-subscribed
> following suffering from the "pretty park" virus and assorted "other
> job" pressures.

Ah, yes, we Macintosh users are getting another nice chuckle out of this
one. Smugness is a terrible thing to waste. :)

> I am hoping for a few suggestions of songs I could include in a short
> recital that will be combined with some solo piano and one or two poetry
> readings. This is to be held at our village school in October and as it
> is a rural parish on the edge of the Fens in Cambridgeshire I thought a
> sort of "cow pat" theme might be suitable. We are also situated next to
> the Great Ouse river and it would be lovely to select music that could
> tie in with our locality I think. The audiance will be mainly made up of

How about Charles Ives' "Grantchester", which is a setting of
Rupert Brooke's poem of the same name, and which features a clever musical
quotation from Debussy's "L'Apres-midi d'un Faune"? I know it's
nowhere near the Fens, and it's the Cam and not the Ouse, but at least
it's the same county. :)

Elizabeth Shrimpton of the Ely Writers' Circle has written at least one
song about the Fens, called "The Black Fen". I know nothing about the
song- whether it's art song, folk song, or what, but you may want to
contact Ms. Shrimpton for more information about her songs - if they
prove to be interesting, they might be exactly what you need for this
recital. You can reach Elizabeth Shrimpton care of the East Cambridge
On-Line News: contributor@b...

Karen Mercedes
-----
Ich singe, wie der Vogel singt,