Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 6, 2002  2:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

In a message dated 3/5/02 3:46:49 PM, spmello@a... writes:

<< The real issue behind this thread, in my unsolicited opinion, is not lesson
prices but charging what one deserves to earn. (Again, a subjective thing
without a doubt.) There are teachers in New York who charge $100-200 a
lesson who don't deserve bus fare for their "expertise," and those here and
elsewhere who are worth their weight in gold. We've all heard stories of
teachers who take on one natural talent who makes it big and then become
"good teachers" by reputation, even if they never turn out another major
singer in the next twenty years of teaching. (I'm NOT naming names.)
Meanwhile, a dear friend of mine (dramatic mezzo) has gone to some of the
"best" and most expensive teachers on two coasts and gotten nowhere
technically, but now for a mere $37 per hour is building a technique that
works. >>

You are absolutely correct that a high fee does not necessarily mean high
quality, and vice versa.

However, I do believe that pricing one's services is a more subjective matter
than you and some others seem to imply. You have to decide what you honestly
believe you are worth, and charge accordingly. No other strategy makes sense.
If you charge less than you believe you are worth, it is going to come out
somehow, possibly in your approach to your students or attitude toward your
work. You have to charge what makes it worthwhile for YOU. Nobody else can
tell you what that figure is.

Some people have an inflated sense of their own value, others are too modest.
It's certainly foolish to set your prices so low that you can't have a decent
standard of living and some degree of financial security. And market forces
do enter into the equation. If your prices are too low, most likely no one
will tell you, and if they are too high, you won't get any business.

But pricing based on results? This not very objective or realistic. Some
people are "born" teachers. There's no reason why they can't be very good
voice teachers at a relatively young age. A teacher may have a lot of
teaching ability but never come across a student who will make effective use
of all that he/she has to offer.

Whose results are they, really? I'm an excellent student. I pay attention,
listen well, and apply what I've learned creatively. The results are mine,
not my teacher's. She has shown me how to get where I am, but I produced the
results. I know that she would agree with this 100%.

Judy

emusic.com