Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Mar 4, 2002  6:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mic placement to record a vocal quintet

John I think your description is pretty safe. the variables lie
mainly in the pattern of the mikes which I assume are cardoid.

The unknown is the width of the pattern which you can best
observe by testing with a group. If the pattern is too narrow
you may finish with a "hole" in the centre. You would then
have to turn both mikes in to the centre a little and check that
the outer voices are still within the area of reception.

The other requirement is to be sure that the phase of the mikes
are matched. They sound like professional mikes so it may not
be a problem. Even if they are wrong you could probably correct
it later in a mixer that allows for switching phase.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17788 Re: Mic placement to record a vocal quintetJohn Link   Wed  3/6/2002

emusic.com