Vocalist.org archive

From:  "helmutti2000" <d@d...>
Date:  Thu Feb 21, 2002  3:06 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Singing lessons

Hi Denis,
thanks for your answer, it cleared things up for me. I couldn't find
find the lesson you mentioned on Baxter's site. Do you remeber which
one it is?
It sounds to me that different singers use different ways of
overdriving their vocal folds. I did some searching and reading on
the two singers i mentioned before, and i found out that Kurt Cobain
frequently lost his voice, so his way of singing must be harmful. I
read about Ed Kowalcyk that he has been singing from a young age,
even before he discovered rock music, so he probably did have
lessons. His way of singing raspy sounds very different from Cobain's
and is probably less harmful. I wonder how he does it. Well, i'll
just keep practicing and experimenting.

Cheers, Niels

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...> wrote:
> Hey Didi:
> Actually your observations are quite astute. The way Mark Baxter
explained
> grit/rasp is that no matter how you do it, it is in fact damaging
to your
> cords. The trick is to do it in a way that is least damaging to
your cords.
> He equated it to a stuntman driving a car squealing the tires. No
matter how
> he does it, it is going to hurt the car, its transmission, tires,
etc.
> He/she has to learn how to do it with the least damage incurred to
the
> vehicle while still producing the same said squeal. Thus it is with
singing
> with grit/rasp that you must find a way to do it so that you
produce the
> desired result or sound in this case while causing the least damage
to your
> cords. A delicate matter indeed. ;)
>
> Yours In Music,
> Denis J. Lanza
> Vocalist
> http://www.denisjlanza.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17639 Re: Singing lessonshelmutti2000   Thu  2/21/2002

emusic.com