Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Wed Feb 6, 2002  5:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Re[2]: [vocalist] Heavy Mechanism, Light Mechanism

> << No, the reverse is true for me - it's easier in the
lower register.
> Correspondingly, my lower register was always the
stronger one. >>

> It took me a long time to do a good onset in
my upper register.

Me, three!! A light lyric soprano, my heavy mechanism
was actually always the stronger one, so consequently
onset was always easier in the heavier than the lighter
mechanism, the comfort zone, where I felt more
confident. It affected my vocal identity as well. In
the early years, I was sure I was going to develop as a
mezzo because that lower part of my voice was so well
developed and so much a part of how I knew and heard my
voice. I greatly resisted becoming the soprano I
actually am (!), until I could shift the way I thought
about my voice, which eventually made the technique come
more easily. So, yup, I can rrrrruhlate! --Erica

> Christine Thomas
> Wauwatosa, WI
> <A
HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile
.html">

http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html<
/A>

> "I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and
the spring-a"

emusic.com