Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Feb 1, 2002  4:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?

Dear Randy and Caio and Vocalisters.

Of course it is relative. That is correct. The very statement that
Opera is the fastest growing performing art form is, by definition,
relative.

There is no question that pop art, if that is the proper term, is the
most popular art form in the West but of all the art forms, Opera is
growing at a faster rate than all of the others. Consequently, even
if that growth rate belies the total involvement in other forms, it
certainly also contradicts the often stated theme in this thread that
opera is dead and needs to be replaced with some new form of pseudo
opera.

The difficulty I see with the discussion in this thread is that it
represents more personal likes and dislikes and less facts and
reality. That is OK as far as this discussion group is concerned.
We have no restrictions against such discussions of pure likes and
dislikes. But, and i think this is a key element, our personal likes
and dislikes are, in the greater viewpoint, relatively unimportant if
they cannot be backed up with some sort of objective evaluation.

I would like very much for our Vocalist to return to the idea of
ideas and be less concerned with idea of personal but poorly
supported likes and dislikes.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson
Flagstaff, Arizona

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17157 Re: Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?thomas mark montgomery   Fri  2/1/2002

emusic.com