Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  9:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?

> Dear ALL:

Opera in the USAis the fastest growing
performance
> art, ahead of theatre, concerts of all kinds, and even
films.

Good news, indeed. And one wonders if the dramatic,
real-life events of this past Fall will provide the
backdrop for new works, ie along the lines of Adams'
Nixon in China.

I often wonder, too, during what we now qualify as a
transition between one style of music to another, ie,
Classical to Romantic, what were the interpretations and
reactions of the audiences of the day (the elite)as they
had to make way for a burgeoning middle class, new
attitudes regarding attendance at musical performances,
new opera houses, new music to adapt to new times.
Of course, we look back at what became the
Romantic era and say "Bravo" to the substantive
and beautiful bodies of work which emerged. Hindsight
is always 20-20, but one wonders what it felt like
during such transition. Food for thought, anyway!
--Erica

emusic.com