Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  12:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Opera aria by Lillo

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, oldervoice wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> The old John Church collection of soprano arias lists an aria from
> Osteria, by a composer named Lillo, titled "Domani, o mei felice",
> Has any of you sung this or heard a recording of it? I couldn't find
> any information about libretto, plot, character, etc.
> Private replies or to the list as you prefer.

The composer, Giuseppe Lillo (1814-1863) composed operas for La Fenice in
Venice, the San Carlo in Naples, and La Scala in Milan. He also wrote
quite a bit of piano music, inspired by his "paragon" Franz Liszt; he also
wrote sacred music.

The complete name of the opera is L'OSTERIA D'ANDUIAR, and it appears
to have been quite popular in Naples in the 1840s (it played at the San
Carlo - for which it was composed - in 1841, then at the Teatro del Fondo
in 1843).

Lillo also composed the comic opera IL GIOIELLO, and the operas ROSMUNDA
IN RAVENNA (premiere, La Fenice, 1837) and CATERINA HOWARD (written for
the San Carlo in 1849) - with L'OSTERIA, these are considered his best
works.

Wish I could help you with more information about that opera, but frankly,
Lillo seemed to have been pretty "small potatoes" even at the peak of his
career. In a world that barely remembers the works of Mercadante and
Spontini, it's not surprising that we hear and know next to nothing about
Lillo.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com