Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 12, 2002  7:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

In a message dated 1/12/2002 7:11:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> Those of you who have ended your lessons with a teacher what did you say? I
> have been wondering what I will say to my current teacher. Shall I tell
> her why I am quitting lessons with her? Shall I make something up? I feel
> terribly awkward about this.

Hi Lea Ann
I don't think anyone particularly enjoys confrontations, however, I truly
believe in being honest and tactful. If she gets upset by your honesty, those
are HER issues, not yours. You must trust and know that and let it be. You do
NO ONE any favors by avoiding the truth by evading it.
If you like this new teacher and decide you want to study with her, I would
sit down with your old teacher, thank her for what she's taught you and
remind her of how much you enjoy her and respect her, and tell her that you
have decided to study for a while with someone else. It can be as simple as
saying: "I need a fresh perspective on singing." If she objects, all you must
do is hold fast to the fact that you need this new perspective. It is an
unarguable stance.
And best of luck!
TinaO

emusic.com