Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Sat Jan 12, 2002  3:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

I know you've already received lots of replies, Lea
Ann, but I'd just like to add my comments even if
after the fact. I think you are on the right track by
searching out a new teacher as this relationship
doesn't seem to be very enjoyable or fruitful for
either of you. I also agree that matching fach with
your teacher is not necessary. One advantage may be a
deep knowledge of your shared repertoire. This was
the case with my former teacher, BUT the teacher
before that one (also my fach) didn't possess nearly
the rep. knowledge or the creativity in assigning to
her students (I accompanied her studio briefly while
still in college so got a wide view of her teaching).
So, it was a real advantage one time and not so much
another time.

You also described your teacher in this way:
...is it strange that she has
> no idea who Renee Fleming is or who Cecilia Bartoli
> is?

To *me*, this is unfortunate and undesirable. I
worked in a record store for a while -- I was the lone
female among the classical staff and the youngest by
15 years! -- and came to learn that musicians often
fail to listen to music for the joy of it. Very
often, we're only found searching the bins in search
of a specific piece or song that we're working on at
the moment. It sounds as if this teacher doesn't even
go this far! Listening to other players and singers
is very instructive, not to mention a joy. For you,
who have ambitions for your singing, a teacher who is
more in touch with *the world* is more suitable.

Keep your head up. You're on the right track. And
stop saying that 31 is old!! I'm right behind you at
30 and I'm not ready to be old yet! (mostly due to
immaturity) :)

-Jen S.
(There are so many Jennifers everywhere! Even on this
list. :) )