Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Dec 28, 2001  1:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Breathing woes...

--- dramadiva2002 <dramadiva2002@y...> wrote: >
Hi all,

> I have been singing for years now. I have even had a
> couple of
> professional engagements so I feel like a total
> retard right now with
> what I'm about to ask. I know what proper breath
> support feels like.
> I've even managed to sing with it from time to
> time... hehe. However,
> I am totally at a loss to explain why I am
> unsuccessful at doing that
> slow breathing exercise every singer on the planet
> does. You know the
> one, the candle exercise, the breath-in till full,
> blow out slowly,
> moist, warm air, even, etc.... exercise. I have
> complete beginners
> who walk up to me and can do the exercise for at
> least 45 seconds. I
> have been at this for years and on a good day I'm at
> 50 seconds but
> for the most part I whimp out at 30 seconds. Why is
> this? Just what
> kind of retarded thing am I doing wrong? I would
> really like to get
> to the bottom of this.
>
> Thanks,
> Dramatic Soprano having Fit

Dear Dramatic Sop having a fit!!

Well, just so's you don't think you're a complete
retard!!! Not everybody goes around doing breathing
exercises you know? I've never done one in my life I
don't think? I don't bother with all that stuff. If
you've got wonderful breath control, there's nothing
to say it's going to make you're singing any better,
but you'll probably be very adept at diving for
pearls!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!

16054 Re: Breathing woes...dramadiva2002   Fri  12/28/2001
16066 Re: Breathing woes...Ian Belsey   Sat  12/29/2001

emusic.com