Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 23, 2001  7:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How to build vocal endurance- Tips wanted for Newbie to group

In a message dated 12/23/2001 2:44:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:
peggyh@i... writes:

<< The best thing is to work a voice teacher - you can be
taught to use your voice in a healthy manner, consistent
with your R&B style of singing you're doing. Even if you
can only find a teacher who works with you on classical-type
music, you can apply what you learn about breath management
to your other singing. >>

i agree that getting some kind of vocal instruction might help. to me,
it sounds like you are making more effort than you need to, based on some
faulty concepts of how the voice works.

if you can find a voice teacher who understands how the voice works and,
who understands R&B, it would probably help you. in my experience, you will
have difficulty finding a classical style voice teacher who is truly open
minded about R&B.

it sounds to me that you have some misconceptions of the role of breath
in the making of vocal sound. whether you use a breathy sound or not, a
good place to start might be in checking out the speed your breath is moving
out and see if you can slow it down.

mike

emusic.com