Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri May 12, 2000  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Contemporary Arias in English

I've heard the papers aria done fabulously in recital,
although it is looooooong for an audition.

If you have a lyric line, you might look at the
embroidery aria from Peter Grimes. The Governess in
Turn of the Screw has a "how beautiful it is" aria,
also.

Susannah's arias (again, if you have a good lyric
line) are lovely and overdone (which is not
necessarily a bad thing, for auditions).

What's on Renee Fleming's American arias CD? She
sings big lyric/spinto repertoire, and auditioners
would much rather hear a big voice sing a lyric piece
than a spinto sing a true-dramatic piece, I think
(plus, I can't think of any dramatic arias in
English). Better to underfach than overpart, as a
rule.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte