Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 23, 2001  2:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Is this considered good ethics?

In a message dated 11/23/2001 6:26:34 AM Central Standard Time,
promero@w... writes:

> next summer I will be studying Theory at summer school in Colorado. I
> have been messaging the person in charge of the summer program and
> have had my questions answered, but I wanted to check before sending
> her my next inquiry... Now, my teacher graduated from CU and has
> friends among the vocal faculty. My question is whether the faculty
> gives classes during the summer as well, as I would prefer to study
> under the tutelage of a vocal pedagogist rather than by myself (which
> I would have to do, since my teacher and my regular college are in
> NC, but I'd be in Colorado for the summer). The question is: Is this
> considered unethical? I want to ask my teacher that on our lesson on
> Tuesday, but I wanted to get the general impression here as well.

It's your dollar, your voice and your career. It's totally up to you, you
are free to do whatever you want, it's up to the maturity level of your
present teacher as to how they handle it. Some teachers can get quite
"Pissy" over something like this, but they should not, it's your choice. If
you're happy with what you're being taught, I'd try to find someone who
teaches a similar approach so that you're not in conflict with the behaviors
you are currently learning.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com