Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Nov 15, 2001  11:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Economics Related Songs

Kander & Ebb: Money makes the world go 'round, from CABARET

Kurt Weill: The Ballad of Immoral Earnings, from THREEPENNY OPERA (it's a
duet for tenor/baritone and soprano, but may be adaptable for solo
singer)

Luciano Berio: Money, penny come to me - #6 of his CRIES OF LONDON

Sir Arthur Bliss: Worry about money - #1 of his ANGELS OF THE MIND

G.P. Telemann: Geld; Heirat

Bock & Harnick: If I were a rich man, from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

H. Purcell: Love is now become a trade

C. Gounod: Ni l'or ni la grandeur

Schubert: Der Schatzgraeber, D.256

Hans Eisler: Ballade von der Billigung der Welt (which includes the line:
Ich selbst versteh nichts von Oekonomie - "I understand nothing about
economics")

Hans Eisler: Als ich dich gebar, schrie'n deine Broeder schon - from his
VIER WIEGENLIEDER FUER ARBEITERMUETTER

J. Brahms: Guter Rat, op. 75 #2

Gorney & Harburg: Brother, can you spare a dime?

Bock & Harnick: Bonds - from THE ROTHSCHILDS

Looking a bit farther afield to comic and folk songs:

Monty Python (Eric Idle & John Gould): Money Song

Monty Python (Eric Idle & John du Prez): Accountancy Shanty

Walter Gilbert (of Hexagon): Alan Greenspan Song

The Beatles (George Harrison): The Taxman

Tom Glazer: A dollar ain't a dollar anymore

Walter Cliff aka Walter Gourlay: I wanna marry a Trotskyite

Bob Russell & Carl Sigman: Money in the pocket
Tom Glazer: When the country is broke
(These two are very similar, lyric-wise)

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15371 Re: Economics Related Songs Deal Diva Laura   Fri  11/16/2001   2 KB

emusic.com