Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Wed Nov 14, 2001  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] got the gig, now what do I sing?

You might want to review the Copland Old American Songs. Simple Gifts is
always well-received, and The Walls of Zion has the reference to Zion, but
otherwise seems pretty non-demoninational to me.

If it suits your voice, you might also want to consider Laurie's Aria from
Copland's "A Tender Land".

And everyone loves Barber's "Sure on this Shining Night". Even though the
meaning of the text is hardly clear (personally, I think it has a lot to do
with the sound of the words - I remember a great discussion of that song's text
on the old Vocalist!), the music by itself is inspirational!

And though particular titles aren't popping into my head, I'm certain some of
John Duke's songs may fit the bill, because he's set a lot of American poets.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com