Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
"Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Fri Oct 19, 2001  2:55 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re:soloist voice singing in the choir

My choir director always asks the bigger voices to sit toward the back, but
I don't think that's written in stone as a general rule. As far as blending
goes, I wouldn't take remarks directed to the group too personally,
particularly if you can hear others singing loudly with a bad vocal quality.
I wouldn't try to hold back, because you'll get exactly the response you've
noticed with support. If you're really concerned about whether you're the
problem, don't be shy about asking the conductor.
When I started my church choir section leader job 15 years ago, I had blend
problems because of the size of my voice. (I'm a mezzo and can double on
soprano, but primarily sing alto.) I found that if I made sure I was
singing with a relaxed, open throat with a relaxed, steady stream of breath
and darkened my sound a bit my blend was a lot better. The two things that
were causing my blend problem in the first place were that I was tensing in
an effort to lead the section and make sure the other altos could hear what
notes I was singing, which gave my sound an edge that just wouldn't blend,
and my normal solo sound is fairly bright. When I relaxed and darkened the
sound slightly, the problem went away.
I have a friend who is one of the best choral conductors I know. I
complimented him on the blend he achieved with his choir and he said he
never, ever mentions blend. He just encourages his singers to sing with the
most relaxed, open sound they can and the blend happens.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano