Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Oct 18, 2001  8:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Pedagogy direction?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 ODivaTina@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 10/17/2001 10:25:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dalila@R... writes:
>
> That's why, as I've mentioned earlier in more than one post, it is imperative
> that you find the applicable speech. My teacher and I call if "sing/speech",
> which refers to the type of speech which translates into singing. Once you

My old voice teacher used to call this "Shakespearean speech",
particularly "old school" Shakespeareans like John Barrymore would deliver
their speeches with a more forward-focus to the voice, and more "support"
in the breath, the result being that more ringing "declamatory" sound that
it can be so fun to parody.

KM
===
On Neil Shicoff - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html
On yours truly - http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

| For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that |
| appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. |
| - James 4:14 |