Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  1:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] program bios, was Cover Letters

In a message dated 9/4/01 10:41:34 PM, michaelb@y... writes:

<< I rather
enjoy knowing something of the "whole performer/human", which can be expressed
in as many ways as there are people... >>

Michael,

This is true, but there are some situations in which "less is more." One of
these is the resume.

Programs are another story. If a singer is presenting a solo recital, I think
it's up to him/her to determine what's appropriate for the bio in the
program. If the concert or opera is presented by another organization, then
the sponsors or producers have editorial control over the bios.

The organizations that I work with do not permit "thank you's" and
non-musical information (other than the basics, eg "a native of Nebraska").
Other information is edited out regardless of the wishes of the individual
performer, in part on grounds of appropriateness and partly because programs
are very expensive to print and space is limited.

In my own solo recitals, I include information about my work for historic pre
servation, the fact that I've won awards for my writing, etc. in my program
bio. I've never included "thank you's" as part of my bio, though --I
personally consider that practice to be in questionable taste. However, I
have included separate acknowledgements (separate from the bio, that is, and
further forward in the "book") and am considering dedicating a recital to the
memory of a former teacher.

Judy

emusic.com