Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 31, 2001  10:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cover Letters for Singers

In a message dated 8/30/01 6:41:29 PM, canteclada@y... writes:

<< I hope Judy Miller answers your query. This is an
area of special expertise for her. >>

Doris, you've "outed" me! LOL!

Actually, I thought that your suggestions were quite good--but I can expand
on them a little! ;-)

One mistake that is frequently made in cover letters is excessive formality
(although this may not apply outside of the United States). Formal language
often seems awkward and stilted to Americans. Instead, try to be
conversational in tone, and be yourself, not Emily Post!

It's a good idea to read the letter aloud before sending it--and have several
others read and proofread too. When I spot errors in spelling and grammar in
a letter, I'm apt to infer that the writer does not pay attention to details.

Keep it relatively short and to the point. Be direct. Say that you'd like a
job, or an opportunity to audition. Use the active voice, and avoid overly
long or complex sentences.

Focus on the reader and his/her needs and interests, not yourself. Keep any
comments about yourself general (eg, I'm an experienced church soloist) and
don't hype yourself.
Let your resume (which should be very factual, not promotional) and your
headshot do most of the work.

Promise to follow up on a specific date and time, and then DO IT! This is
your chance to make a first impression as someone who is professional,
confident, organized, considerate and detail oriented.

One of the most effective sections of any letter is the PS. It's the one part
of your letter that is most likely to be read. So try to think of something
interesting or unusual or exciting that you can tag onto the end of your
letter--perhaps it's a mention of a mutual acquaintance, or an invitation to
attend your upcoming recital, or simply an offer to provide references.

I like to print several copies of my letters--for some reason, my first
signature never seems to look right!

Last but not least, you should invest in some high quality paper and
envelopes. Make sure that your paper is appropriate for your printer--for
example, sometimes laser toner does not adhere well to papers with high rag
content or a lot of surface texture . You may want to choose a colored stock,
but keep it low key--like soft dove grey or cream. Keep your typeface simple
and elegant (preferably a serif face, they are more legible) and keep the
point size somewhere between 10 and 12. And never send your letter and
headshot in a #10 envelope. A larger envelope will protect your photo and is
more apt to be noticed.
(Be aware that you will need extra postage.)

Whew! That ought to keep you busy!

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13915 Re: Cover Letters for Singers Bill Alley   Tue  9/4/2001   5 KB

emusic.com