Vocalist.org archive

From:  baritone21@h...
baritone21@h...
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  12:19 am
Subject:  What is a Professional singer? was :paid gigs etc.

Hello Listers,

The subject has been dealt with thoroughly, and also raised some
hackles. Calmatevi!

As a "Gifted Amateur", I have been singing for almost 50 years, and
as recent as last week, according to people who heard me at an
Italian festival, I give "goose bumps" when I sing. My only pay,
other than a wedding I sang for in Philadelphia 40 years ago, has
been the compliments I received after singing. To bring tears to
someones eyes is indeed a form of remuneration to me, but I never
would even consider myself a "semi-Professional singer.

Sergius Kagen, in his excellent book, "On Studying Singing", sums it
up for me when he said (paraphrasing) in chapter one, that he would
narrowly define a professional singer as one who derives their income
from singing for other people. That definition makes a tight fit for
many, but if one holds to it, they can never become embroiled with
attacks on, and defense of, their field or vocation.

Best Vocal Wishes,
Ron Zinkel

emusic.com