Vocalist.org archive

From:  BEChoate@a...
BEChoate@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  4:17 pm
Subject:  Funerals

Dear Folks,

Over the years, the idea that Musicians and Clergy would be glad to be
available for funerals and other personal events has prevailed in the minds
of some members of our community. Unfortunately, they don't realize what
this actually means.

Of course, there are many people to whom I have become aquatinted and have
truly valued in my life, however, like the funeral director, the limo driver,
the florist, the bulletin supplier, the casket maker, etc and all of our
families expect to be able to function reasonably well within this society.

Many times, I have discounted or given my services, however I can't always do
that. Several times, I have traveled or have contracted people to travel to
personal events only to find that they have not been paid or they have paid
less than agreed. I must then send them a letter and follow up to collect or
my business must compensate.

Also, some of the fees the clergy receive go directly to the church. Some go
to them, but the other fees defray the cost of running the church so that it
may be available for these special times.

Weddings and other special events are different and can be easily contracted
with full payment well in advance of the event, however funerals are
different. I use written contracts for all events with the exception of
funerals.

Many times I have heard musicians say they felt like ambulance chasers even
though they were approached to sing or play for the funerals as they were
always in the uncomfortable position of waiting for their check.

Personally, I only deal with the funeral home now. Even if I don't sing at
the funeral home, they are able and most times agreeable to setting up the
music fees through the general funeral expense budget. This way the funeral
director cuts the check and usually there is no problem.

About a month ago, I was asked to find an organist/pianist for a funeral. I
knew the family well and helped them, at no charge, to organize their
service, bulletin, make the necessary arrangements for all the details that
come your way. They agreed to pay the organist a certain fee. When the
organist finished playing, she was given as envelope for less than half the
fee and told by the son that that's all he will be paying her. Luckily, his
sister decided to pay her the rest and was embarrassed, however the brother
and other sisters felt society owed them and that they were not even going to
pay the newspapers for the obituary after the "free day"

Sadly, our society still has quite a ways to go in regard to respect for the
musician. I could go on as a major problem happened yesterday in regard to
"local" musicians Vs "out of town" professional musicians...but you would be
here all day:)

Take care and best wishes to you all,
Barbara Pinto-Choate

Greypins@a...gwyee@r...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13395 Re: Funerals Greypins@a...   Tue  7/31/2001   2 KB
13396 Re: Funerals Deal Diva Laura   Tue  7/31/2001   3 KB
13401 Re: Funerals gwyee@r...   Wed  8/1/2001   2 KB

emusic.com