Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Tue May 2, 2000  8:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Resurrection Symphony

omigurt@a... wrote:

> <<The other was in the Hollywood Bowl during the finale of Mahlar's
> "Resurrection Symphony." As I was about to begin the Tenor solo ... >>
>
> Hmmmmmmm...must be the *other* Resurrection Symphony! The one I know has
> only soprano and mezzo soloists! ; )

Mahlar wrote the symphony for single orchestra and soloists. There are many
arrangements of his Symphony #2. The one we did with the Mormon Tabernacle and
Southern California Mormon choirs and the Utah Symphony called for massive
chorus (520) a symphony with triple percussion and horns (placed on top of the
mountain behind the audience) and eight soloists who usually sang in duos. If
you ever get the opportunity to hear it like this, go for it. You'll think
you've gone to heaven.

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.

"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"
<http://www.newenglandtalent.org> EPI Records - NetWork Films

"Making children do something they don't want to do is the job of the parents.
If that doesn't work, there are always juvenile detention centers." - Mike R.
-

emusic.com