Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  11:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rep Question: 20s baritone and 40s soprano

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Trevor Allen wrote:

> If you're getting tired of my weird duet combo rep
> questions, just delete this post and move on. I'm
> thinking that I would like to sing with my teacher
> sometime. She is a soprano in her early 40s. I am a
> baritone and am 21. I'm open to any suggestions that
> would fit this combo. We both love musical theatre,
> but I think we could pull something from opera or
> operetta off as well.

These duets from musicals and operettas were written to be sung by an
older woman and a younger man:

"I'd do anything", from OLIVER!

"False one, you have deceived me" from PIRATES OF PENZANCE (this one
actually has the age difference as it's theme; it's really for tenor and
mezzo, but there's nothing in the tessitura or range that disqualifies it
for your combination)

"I said love" and "A simple way" from ROBERT AND ELIZABETH (both are
lovely songs, and ideal for "legit" baritone and soprano)

"Seeing is believing", from ASPECTS OF LOVE (the tessitura may be a bit
high for a musical theatre baritone, but should be no problem for a
classically trained baritone; it's written for musical theatre tenor)

If you don't care about the age difference, and are willing to undertake a
romantic duet, there are LOTS of goodies out there, including:

"Lippen schweigen" (The Merry Widow Waltz) from DIE LUSTIGE WITWE/THE
MERRY WIDOW

"Wanting You" from THE NEW MOON (Romberg)

"Will You Remember? (Sweetheart)" from MAYTIME (Romberg)

"How could I ever know?" (as scored in the musical) from THE SECRET GARDEN

"Yours, yours, yours" from 1776

"If I loved you" from CAROUSEL

"Soon it's gonna rain" and "They were you" from THE FANTASTICKS

"People will say we're in love" from OKLAHOMA!

"Make believe" and "You are love" from SHOWBOAT

"I've never been in love before" from GUYS AND DOLLS

"The desert song" from THE DESERT SONG (Romberg)

"Lily, Oscar" from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY

"Till there was you" from THE MUSIC MAN

"From this day on" from BRIGADOON

"An Old-Fashioned Wedding" and "They say it's wonderful" from ANNIE GET
YOUR GUN

"From this day on" from BRIGADOON

"All I ask of you" and "Past the point of no return" from PHANTOM OF THE
OPERA

"An ordinary couople" and "Something in my youth (or childhood)" from
SOUND OF MUSIC

"Wunderbar" and "So in love" from KISS ME KATE

Non-Romantic duets for baritone & soprano (age irrelevant):

"A little priest" from SWEENEY TODD

"What do the simple folk do?" from CAMELOT

"A little fall of rain" from LES MISERABLES

There are tons more: just check out any Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald
movie!

Karen Mercedes
NEIL SHICOFF pages
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

+ To hell with life as snug as hand in glove. +
+ - Ho Xuan Huong +

13237 Re: Rep Question: 20s baritone and 40s soprano Jeffrey Snider   Wed  7/18/2001   2 KB

emusic.com