Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jul 15, 2001  11:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: falsetto (was lower register)

In a message dated 7/15/2001 2:39:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< any female opera singer would be an example of what i think is singing
like a male singing in falsetto. giulietta simionato would be a good
example of the same, having a gap between her 'head' voice and chest which,
sounds an awful lot like a yodel to me. shirley bassey, ella fitzgerald and
lauren hill would all illustrate the other approach, singing more like males
do.

Care to explain more completely? You lost me on this one.

lloyd,

i was simply giving examples of what types of singing i was talking
about. in discussions where we are trying to make distinctions, if there
are any, between falsetto and female head voice, i think it is important to
have examples we are all familiar with rather than guessing what sounds a
writer has in mind based solely on that writer's post. it seems almost
silly to me to be attempting such distinctions in writing only.

so, if i'm going to say that i teach female singers, interested in
sounding like opera singers, by having them imitate me singing like a female
opera singer and, that this practice produces satisfactory results with the
exception of a gap into the lower or, chest range, the only choice i have for
an example is one that is well known. while these young singers just
figuring out how to sing do not in any way match simionato in terms of
expertise and artistry, they do exhibit what i perceive as the same
difficulty simionato had in getting into her chest range without a gap or
break that resembles a yodel. (i refer specifically to a live film of
'aida'.)

in contrast, as an illustration of what i think is a technique that is
similar to how male singers make use of a mix to extend their ranges higher,
i offer the examples of fitzgerald, bassey and hill. it might be useful, in
making this point, to compare these singers to someone like the young tony
bennett rather than a male opera singer where the treatment of resonance used
by these women is closer to what bennett does.

that was it.

mike

emusic.com