Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  9:30 pm
Subject:  re: Frank Sinatra's "ruined" voice (was: favorite singers)

Karen M. argues that Nelson Riddle ruined Frank Sinatra's voice. I'm no
expert on the Frank discography, so I'd be interested in examples of before
and after. (On the recordings I own, he sounds glorious, so I don't
normally think of his voice as ruined.) I also wonder...one seems to see
lots of photos of the Rat Pack with cigarettes dangling from lips. Did
Frank smoke? We know he drank a bit. Surely these would be factors in the
alleged ruin. (It's so hard to accept!)

Ruined or not, it's the communicative ability and extraordinary facility
with delivering text that makes me a Frankophile! I was listening in my
car today and just LOVE that growl he does in "New York, New York" --
divine!

NGL

emusic.com