Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed May 30, 2001  2:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Szymanowski

>Hello all -
>
>I would like to do some pieces by Szymanowski on a recital I am
>planning for the fall. Just about all his pieces have a Polish
>version and a German version. Would it be alright for me to sing the
>German, or would it be preferable to learn the Polish?

Definitely learn the Polish. I believe the only excuse one ever has for
not singing Lieder in the original language is when one chooses, for the
audience's sake, to sing it in the native language of the audience. Which
means that if you're planning to sing the songs in a German-speaking
country, you might get away with singing them in German; but if you're
singing them in the U.S., and don't want to sing them in Polish, you should
sing them in English - or not at all.

Karen Mercedes

emusic.com