Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 27, 2000  4:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: how to write a press release? was re: HighSchool Senior Recital

In a message dated 4/27/00 9:32:06 AM, dredeman@y... writes:

<< Remember that the editor should become
interested in a few seconds, because that is probably
all the time he will spend on your press release.

Lots of people have made excellent suggestions on this topic. I have to
agree with Dre de Man that editors are extremely busy people, so if you want
to have your release published you should also make it extremely easy for
them to use it.

Working this way, I've had the good fortune to have many of my releases used
verbatim!

Always write for publication. Keep it simple and direct. Include as much of
the pertinent information (remember who, what, where, when, why and how) in
the opening paragraph.

I usually create several versions of my press releases. First I write a
full-length feature story, in which I provide background information on
myself and my accompanist and/or guest artists, a summary of the program, etc.

I also try to include a "human interest" angle if possible. For example, I
recently did a concert at an historic church where my family (on both sides)
have been active for many generations--although I myself am not a member
there. (For example, my father's great uncle provided a lot of the funds for
the building, and his company created the ornamental ironwork on the interior
and exterior. My mother's mother sat in the same pew every Sunday for 80
years or more, and my parents were married in the chapel.) I didn't go into
great detail, but did refer to the connection in my press releases. Members
of the congregation were intrigued and many attended because I was not an
"outsider."

I've had luck getting this type of story printed in the smaller, hometown
weekly papers as opposed to the larger daily newspapers or city magazines.

Next, I edit this version down to 2-3 paragraphs. Just the basic facts and a
little bit of information about myself and my accompanist, plus all of the
pertinent contact information etc.

I agree that if at all possible you should provide a photo--but make sure
that it is thoroughly professional. No snapshots or fuzzy Polaroids!

After that, I create what I call a "calendar update." Many local
publications, cultural organizations, etc publish calendars of upcoming
events. You should look at them to get an idea of approximately how many
words you should use and how you should format the information. (I do not
send photos with these.)

Last but not least, I create a PSA (public service announcement) that I send
to the local radio and TV/cable stations. It's a lot like the calendar
release, but remember that it will be heard, not read--so you may want to
repeat the phone number, date, etc.

Last but not least--spell check is not enough! Proofread your releases
carefully, and then have at least two other people read them through before
you print and mail them.

Also, some editors can now accept press releases via email, fax or on disk.
(If nobody has to re-key the release, you eliminate the chance for typos in
your date, ticket price etc.).

It really pays to build (and maintain) a list of press contacts. I try to
call the really important editors (or email them) to let them know that I
will be sending a release, and then follow up to make sure that they have
received it.

Good luck!

Judy

emusic.com