Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu May 17, 2001  5:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] was it really?

>From: dorisopran@a...
>
>In a message dated 5/16/01 11:11:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>peggyh@i... writes:
>
><< As much as I love Audrey Hepburn, she
> should have done a remake of Shaw's Pygmalion and let a real
> singer do My Fair Lady.
> >>

>Funny that never occurred to me. I adore Audrey Hepburn. That would have
>been fine to have had a definitive version of the Shaw with her as the
>heroine. Then.... Julie Andrews as Eliza in My Fair Lady, on film. Has
>anyone seen a film of her stage work of that? I certainly hope one exists.

Possibly because there IS a definitive version of "Pygmalion" on film,
starring Leslie Howard (the Higgins to which all others should aspire) and
Wendy Hiller. G.B. Shaw collaborated on the screenplay. There's also an
early-'80s TV production of the play that shows up occasionally on cable
stations, starring Peter O'Toole and Margot Kidder.

As far as I know, the only film of Julie Andrews as Eliza is an "Ed Sullivan
Show" appearance, in which she sang "Wouldn't It Be Loverly." Of course,
she did sing that and other MFL songs in subsequent TV appearances, and we
have her on the score album.

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt