Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  5:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Urgent repertoire help needed

Vis getting paid for funerals (and weddings, etc.):

If you do not want to give your services gratis, then you should be
extremely businesslike and arrange payment arrangements up front. If it is
the funeral home that hired you (or "enlisted" you), make your payment
arrangements with them. If it is one of the grieving family members, be
as diplomatic and sensitive as you can when you bring the subject up - and
instead of phrasing it as a question (i.e., "Are you planning to pay me,
and if so how much?"), present it as a gentle statement (i.e., "You know,
when I've sung at funerals in the past, I've been paid $xxx - you choose
how much). If you're not sure what you charge, and the funeral home can't
guide you, I suggest you call a couple of the Catholic churches in your
area and ask how much their funeral soloists normally get paid, then use
that as your guide.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website: