Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  1:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Looking for a song by Zemlinsky

One, your values are your own, I know, but frankly I wouldn't have any
qualms about photocopying one of the lesser-known Lieder of an
infrequently performed and published Lieder composer, and that a Lied that
is published only in one place (I can find no evidence of any other
publication of that particular set of songs), and that being a very
expensive volume that contains many songs that you have no desire to sing,
particularly when the song you seek is now in the public domain, just not
widely published.

Given all these considerations, if you still have qualms about
photocopying the song, my advice is either "get over it" or plunk down the
$60+ for the book to salve your conscience. THough it's not like Zemlinsky
is still around to collect royalties, so your money is going entirely to
the bottom line profits of the Casa Ricordi.

My advice, to recap, is to check the song book out of the library, take it
to a good photocopy place, and have a very nice, clean copy made on good
quality paper. That's pretty much what Classical Vocal Reprints does, and
they're the only possible source I can suggest if you still insist on
buying the song rather than copying it.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website: