Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Karin Mandix" <kmx@m...>
"Karin Mandix" <kmx@m...>
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  6:55 am
Subject:  Re: songs by Danish composers

Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...> wrote:
>I have a student who is considering going to College in Denmark--her
>parents are from there and she speaks fluently) however, audition
>requirements include some song by Danish composers. Does anyone in
>vocalistland have any knowledge on the Danish repertoire and how to get
>hold of it?

This must be my clue to de-lurk......

The "Danish Music Information Centre" can be found at http://www.mic.dk

The publisher Wilhelm Hansen is the obvious place to look for material. They
have a web site (mostly in Danish, though):http://www.ewh.dk or
http://www.wilhelm-hansen.dk/index.asp

Alternatively, try Engstrøm & Sødring (same problem with language):
http://www.steeplechase.dk/esmusic/

An easily accessible site (nicely done in English) is the record company
Danacord: http://www.danacord.dk There is a list of Danish composers (and
CDs stocked), and some sound samples.

The Royal Danish library: http://www.kb.dk/ Not very music-oriented,
though.

I'm also curious to know what college has this requirement. Perhaps they
specify a "Danish song" in the sense of a relatively simple, well-known song
just to assess the basic singing capabilities of the student (as opposed to,
say, a technically demanding aria).

Feel free to e-mail me privatey.
Best regards
Karin Mandix