Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Mon Apr 24, 2000  8:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] I'm all choked up

LikeSoMuchFish@a... wrote:

> I sometimes get very emotional when I sing. Which is great ,I guess for
> dramatic sake but often hard on the ears.
> I find that when I am on the verge of tears,my throat closes a bit and I tend
> to go flat or worse, crack consistently.
> I have seen singers who can sob heavily and yet keep a consistent tonal
> quality whilst remaining on pitch. How do they do it?
> Have any of you experienced this"choking" first hand? Have any of you learned
> to overcome it without sacrificing emotion and how?

As singers and singing actors we have to portray emotions so that our audience
feels them. We do ourselves and our listeners a disservice when we let the
emotions we are portraying affect our singing in detrimental ways. To some,
this
may seem dishonest. How can we truthfully sing a sad lament without feeling sad
as we sing? Preparation. What do rage, joy, sadness, hysteria, melancholy,
contentment, pleasure etc. sound like and look like. Know exactly what
expressive devices and nuances you will use to elicit the responses you wish to
acheive. Work them in the practice studio until they become automatic. If the
character requires you to sob, practise sobbing so that it becomes part of your
technical/interpretive arsenal. I've found that the excersises in Wesley Balk's
books exceedingly useful in learning to show emotions without those emotions
sabotaging performances.
Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com