Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  4:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Strained/Swollen Vocal Chords

Hi Clarissa,

Sorry to hear about your vocal dilemma. However, the
doc is quite right. If your cords are swollen, don't
use 'em!! Take it from one who knows!!! My voice was
very badly damaged 16 years ago, and that really is
the best advice. Also, steam inhalation is good too,
provided you don't add things to it: pure steam,
nothing else.

I would advise against using your mid range voice for
about a week. Then do some gentle exercising: humming
that sort of thing. Any sort of strain or
strangulation, stop immediately. The longer you can
leave your larnyx untouched, the quicker the repair.

Take care, and let us know how it goes.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars.