Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Mar 31, 2001  9:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing Louder

> I suspect that you also need to learn how to sing
> softer as you get higher, so that your volume is
> not compulsively fixed by the pitch.

Actually, I would suggest that a beginning singer,
particularly a 19-year-old one, should NOT under any
circumstances attempt to sing softly in the upper
middle voice.

This can be one of the most disasterous things to
attempt in the first few years of training, especially
if you try to teach yourself how to do it. Singing
softly, especially in the upper voice, is one of the
most difficult things to do -- it requires a voice
that has been through all the basic "grunt work" of
releasing tension, producing a clear and free tone,
balancing the registers, and working out breath
control. Sing COMFORTABLY (generally mf) until the
technique is healthy and you are ready to learn to
pull the breath back for dynamic control in the top.

Do NOT attempt to sing softly in the upper register in
order to balance out the voice -- for a young singer,
this will lead to horrible tension habits and likely
the singer's placement will get all messed up.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA