Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  5:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: What's a countertenor?

But Ken and Tako, it's easy to see the origin. It is not the voice
even remotely similar to the persons usual speaking voice. Often
a bass or a baritone, right, rarely a tenor?

It's natural that the impression of it's being a "false" voice, may
arise. I know mike has another view on this, but then that's the
historical one!!!! : ) I hesitate....but let's not divert another
glorious word as happened to GAY.

Provocative I know, but that's not my intention. Reg.

> > I wish falsetto had another name too, because a lot of critics of the
> > CT voice use its very name as proof that it is a dastardly register,
> > since they don't have a whole lot else upon which to base their
> > prejudice.
> >
> > Tako
> >

>U hit the nose on the head. I have said the same thing in the past. The
>false in falsetto implies something negative. Many critics use this to rip a
>CT apart, even some of the best ones. Oh well, we can only wish that the
>name was different.
>
>Ken

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

emusic.com