Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Oberon603@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  3:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What's a countertenor?

In a message dated 3/9/2001 7:37:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johnlink@c... writes:
johnlink@c... writes:

> In my previous post I neglected to write that when singing along with

I didn't read Takos description of the CT technique yet, but I will. I have
so much mail in my box right now, I'm just trying to get the bulk of it out (&
the junk). However, I wanted to say that the majority of the CT's that are
singing now (including myself) use a falsetto technique. That's the only
real way to describe it. While some of us like to dip in & out of the chest,
the middle to top is an augmented falsetto with a mix of chest & head
resonance. That's the only real way to describe it technically.

However, the voice does not feel at all false to me. I have been singing
this way ever since my voice broke. It's what's natural to me. To sing as a
baritone feels unnatural, or not right. If you ask me why this happened, I
couldn't tell you. But it's just what I feel, & I believe many of the famous
CT's feel the same way.

Every man has a falsetto, & can vocalize in the CT range. But not every man
feels that this is his most natural voice; and not every falsetto has the
technique & quality needed in order to have a career as a CT. (just my
2cents)

Ken

emusic.com